BestArts Weekly Highlights, Thanksgiving Edition - November 21, 2008
If you like these videos, see more at:
- Weekly Highlights - November 14, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - November 7, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - October 31, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - October 24, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - October 17, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - October 10, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - October 03, 2008 - Jason Robert Brown contest edition
- Weekly Highlights - September 26, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - September 19, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - September 12, 2008 - BestArts one year anniversary edition
- Weekly Highlights - September 05, 2008
- Weekly Highlights - August 29, 2008
We've expanded our Upcoming Events section and moved it to a
page of its own - now including sample videos. Be sure to check it out.
This Week's Selections
This week, we highlight performances by Natalie Weiss, Jeff Blumenkrantz, Matt Kacergis, Marla Mindelle, Zak Resnick, Shelly Bort,
Chris Commisso, Jonathan Shew, Jason Robert Brown, Jesse Nager and Danny Calvert from the Broadway Boys, Ben Vereen,
Max Kumangai, Michael Lowney, Ruth Pferdehirt, Jessica Hershberg, Garen McRoberts and more. We're including
songs written by Jeff Blumenkrantz, Jason Robert Brown and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
How We Chose...
Last week, we focused on "Young Broadway" singers.
This week, most of our highlights videos are from college performers and/or
have some type of Thanksgiving theme in celebration of the American holiday.
- We've been saving this video a long time - just for this week.
Here's the amazing Boston Conservatory student (and Atlanta native - yay!) Matthew
Kacergis singing Jeff Blumenkrantz' wonderful song "Giving Thanks" - with Jeff on piano.
- Carnegie Mellon student Zak Resnick gives one of his best (which is VERY good) performances, "Try a Little Tenderness."
The video is disappointingly dark, but the vocals (and Joe Etzine's piano) soar.
- We've somehow overlooked Marla Mindelle in our highlights series. This week, we present her wonderful counterpoint duet with
her Cincinnati College of Music (CCM) vocal instructor Pat Linhart of "Sooner or Later/The Man That Got Away."
- Natalie Weiss probably has more great YouTube posts than any other young Broadway singer. We were introduced to Natalie's unstoppable
talent while she was a senior at Penn State singing "I Believe in You and Me."
- Jonathan Shew, a student at Syracuse University, was one of the winners of Jason Robert Brown's YouTube Karaoke contest
and joined him at his recent NYC concert. We present Jonathan's performance from that night.
- Max Kumangai is joined by Michael Lowney, Ruth Pferdehirt, Jessica Hershberg and Garen McRoberts to sing "Muddy Water" from
Big River: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn at the Spring 2008 "Lost in Ann Arbor" concert at U of M.
- Shelly Bort is one of our favorites. She shines again with her performance of Jason Robert Brown's "Someone to Fall Back On."
Best of YouTube
- Unlike most singers, Chris Commisso's original songs are even better than his
knock-out covers. "Go Easy On the Girl" is one of his best compositions/performances/videos and is included on his new CD.
- The Broadway Boys hold their annual Christmas concert on December 1. Members Jesse Nager and Danny Calvert sing
Pasek and Paul's "You Can Believe In Me."
- We love "Aureole" because it demonstrates so clearly how the best of dance is passed forward, not lost.
For arts lovers, that's reason for thanks. The second half of the video alternates between performances of "Aureole" by Paul Taylor in
1962 and his protege Patrick Corbin in 1998.
Best of BestArts
- In the current economic climate, many people in America and around the world are struggling harder
than ever to give themselves and their children a better life. We thought Ben Vereen's performance of "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries"
was a nice reminder that wealth is not a true measure of worth.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a better year ahead.
Thank you viewers
It's been a fun fourteen months working on BestArts. Our Broadway and Dance videos have been viewed over 5,000,000 times, so
we're pretty confident you've enjoyed it too. For the last several months, we've spent a lot of time highlighting great young performers.
We hope we've introduced you to a number of new artists and
that you'll continue to explore the worlds of musical theatre and dance with us in the future.
How to play a video
Click on a thumbnail to select a video. Then scroll up to the video player window and "click" on it to start the video.
Please provide video feedback!
Please take a minute to provide feedback on the videos you watch.
To rate, comment on or mark a video as a "favorite", simply click on the video once as it is playing in the video window below.
This will open the video within YouTube.
Watch the entire playlist
This list of videos is generated from a YouTube playlist. You can watch the entire playlist by
clicking this link and then selecting
"Play All Videos" on the right of the screen.
About This Video
- Marla Mindelle, "THE MAN THAT GOT AWAY" - 04:08
- 4.86 stars / 422
- 102644 Views
- Natalie Weiss: I Believe in You and Me - 04:08
- 4.86 stars / 442
- 101527 Views
- You Can Believe In Me - 05:13
- 4.96 stars / 97
- 20021 Views
- Max Kumangai sings "Muddy Water" - 01:34
- 4.89 stars / 35
- 8765 Views
- Go Easy On The Girl - original song by Chris Commisso - 03:42
- 4.92 stars / 105
- 5717 Views
- "Someone to Fall Back On" by Jason Robert Brown - 04:52
- 4.98 stars / 185
- 24222 Views
- Life Is Just A Bowl of Cherries (Reprise) - Ben Vereen - Fosse - 03:23
- 4.93 stars / 107
- 36263 Views
How to play a video
- Click on a thumbnail to select a video
- Scroll up to the video player window
- Click the play icon to start the video
Key to video thumbnails
- Video title - Running time
- Avg rating / Ratings count
- View count
- Link to YouTube channel