BestArts Weekly Highlights - October 31, 2008
If you like these videos, see more at:
This Week's Selections
This week, we feature performances by Natalie Weiss, Chris Dilley, Tituss Burgess, Dan Banion, Amber Nicole Patrick, Stephanie Umoh,
Stearns Matthews, Matt Gehrls, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jose Manuel Carreño, Steve Davis, and David Archuleta plus choreography from Jason Marquette.
How We Chose...
We've come up with a new format for the "Weekly Highlights." We'll try to feature at least one performance from each of the
major sections of theBestArts.com - followed by videos related to upcoming events.
- Natalie Weiss and Tim Wilson gave an amazing performance last week of Thomson and Mann's great song "Talk Hard."
Natalie rocks the last minute!
- Not many female singers can perform a "Barbra" song successfully - and the number of male countertenors who can pull off one
of her numbers is probably... one. Chris Dilley sings both parts of a Neil Diamond/Barbra Streisand duet in "You Don't Bring Me Flowers."
The "Neil Diamond" part doesn't transfer as well to YouTube, but don't miss the second half of this amazing performance.
- Tituss Burgess is one of the hardest working and most skilled young musicians on Broadway today. Whether as Sebastien in
The Little Mermaid, opening for Bette Midler or making numerous appearances around the country, Tituss never disappoints.
- Dan Banion and Amber Nicole Patrick are two of my favorite YouTube singers and should probably both
be moved to the "Young Broadway" category. Somebody needs to sign them up - they're incredible.
This is a unique video in that Dan and Amber are lipsynching to each other's voices in a gender-bending performance - that is vocally
the best version of this Jason Robert Brown duet I've ever heard.
If that wasn't difficult enough, they created this video from opposite sides of the world:
Dan is singing in Japan while Amber sings in Connecticut.
- Stephanie Umoh is a student at the Boston Conservatory. She switches easily from classical to Broadway belter.
This week, we chose one of her "belts."
- Matt Gehrls gives a beautiful rendition of "Why God" from Miss Saigon.
Broadway - from BestArtsMusic on YouTube
- The incomparable Brian Stokes Mitchell sings "Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
- José Manuel Carreño is a star of the ballet world. We present a video that includes biographical information as well as clips
from some of his best performances.
About Us - Kevin and Steve
- Steve's 50th birthday in Glacier Park, Banff, Jasper and Olympic National Parks
- This is the first time we've include a song from American Idol on these pages. But Archie's "Imagine" is well worth
Don't miss shows by Gavin Creel, Shayna Steele, Bobby Cronin and friends, Niki Scalera or Scot Wisniewski.
We've featured each of these shows/performers in the last 1-2 weekly highlights editions. Also, look for:
- Next Step: original choreography by Jason Marquette
- Stearns Matthews is rounding out his debut season in New York with a return to Don't Tell Mama for four shows.
You'll love his lyric baritone.
We've expanded our Upcoming Events section and moved it to a
page of its own. Be sure to check it out.
How to play a video
Click on a thumbnail to select a video. Then scroll up to the video player window and "click" on it to start the video.
Please provide video feedback!
Please take a minute to provide feedback on the videos you watch.
To rate, comment on or mark a video as a "favorite", simply click on the video once as it is playing in the video window below.
This will open the video within YouTube.
Watch the entire playlist
This list of videos is generated from a YouTube playlist. You can watch the entire playlist by
clicking this link and then selecting
"Play All Videos" on the right of the screen.
Highlights 08Oct31 - David Archuleta, Brian Stokes Mitchell, ...
About This Video
- Highlights 08Oct31 - David Archuleta, Brian Stokes Mitchell, ... - 06:49
- 5 stars / 4
- 1695 Views
- Stephanie Umoh "Average, Simple, Mega Superstar". - 02:20
- 4.92 stars / 50
- 15838 Views
- The Last 5 Years ~ The Next Ten Minutes - 07:45
- 4.6 stars / 110
- 13624 Views
- Impossible Dream - Brian Stokes Mitchell - 03:47
- 4.92 stars / 732
- 256866 Views
- Chris Dilley singing "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" - 03:14
- 4.68 stars / 38
- 2607 Views
- Where Do You Start? - Stearns Matthews - 02:12
- 5 stars / 29
- 7063 Views
How to play a video
- Click on a thumbnail to select a video
- Scroll up to the video player window
- Click the play icon to start the video
Key to video thumbnails
- Video title - Running time
- Avg rating / Ratings count
- View count
- Link to YouTube channel